Little Fox Rice
Foxes are said to love fried tofu in Japan, as well as chicken and rice..
2 cups white uncooked short-grain rice
½ carrot, peeled and julienned
5 teaspoons vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon sugar
1 chicken thigh, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon dashi granules
4 teaspoons sugar
3 ½ teaspoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons water
1 piece aburaage tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
¼ cup raw edamame
1. Place the fried tofu in a bowl. Heat a kettle of water to boiling. Once the water is heated, pour atop the fried tofu. (This wicks out some of the grease). Allow the tofu to soak until directed.
2. In a large rice-cooking vessel, add the rice, two cups water, and the carrots. Cover with a lid and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook on low heat until done – this is usually when the rice has acquired a matte surface (do a taste-test to be sure).
3. While the rice is cooking, heat a small frying pan with a small amount of oil and brown the chicken. Once the chicken is almost cooked through add the dashi, sugar, soy sauce, and 4 teaspoons water.
4. In a small glass, mix together the vinegar, salt, and sugar for the sushi rice mix. Mix gently into the cooked rice and, if possible, fan the rice out so that it properly cools.
5. Drain the fried tofu and pat down with a paper towel. Incorporate the fried tofu, raw soy beans, and sesame seeds into the warm rice.
7. Top with additional sesame seeds if desired, and serve!